[kwlug-disc] Voicemail by email

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 26 21:38:44 EDT 2014

For voip.ms, here is my best guess, so that other people can point out
my ignorance and have me banned from the Internet:

- Create a voip.ms account
- Purchase a DID. You probably do not need Emergency 911 if this
  number will never make outgoing calls.
- In DID Numbers -> Voicemail, make a voicemail account. Enter in the
  following: name, mailbox ID, password, email, attach message to
  email, email attachment format, delete messages after emailed
- In DID Numbers -> Manage DIDs, set the routing to Voicemail. I guess
  you need to choose a DID point of presence, too. The voip.ms docs
  say that you need to keep that server consistent.

- Now access the voicemail system and record a greeting so that
  Robotic Asterisk Lady won't be greeting the government officials.

This will cost you $1/month for the DID, plus minutes.

Usually you have to make a "sub-account" in voip.ms so that your DID
can be registered by a device, but I think that is not necessary for
your situation.

- Paul