[kwlug-disc] Voicemail by email

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Mar 26 16:24:19 EDT 2014

It is not hard at all, as long as you do like me, and use an integrated
service (like Ooma, which I talked about earlier). They do offer voicemail
to email notification if you get their $10 a month plan (called premier).
So the total bill will be $14 a month, with Canada wide and USA wide free
calling.

Now, is that cheaper or more expensive than voip.ms or the plethora of VoIP
providers that have been mentioned here? I don't know, because the math for
the per-use voip.ms can be daunting with per minute incoming/outgoing, DID
charges, and what not.

Also, I don't want to be calculating how much I use and budget for it. A
flat fee saves me this effort. Just like an unlimited internet account
saves you watching how much you use.

Regarding POTS and power, there are cell phones for emergencies now, so the
need for a POTS land line is not as crucial.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 4:07 PM, CrankyOldBugger
<crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think the point here, Darcy, is it's hard to get a simple solution like
> you desire as there's so many many addons available!
>
> While VoIP and its cousins are great, I still like to have a POTS in the
> house for when the power goes out, which seems to happen at least twice a
> year now at least.
>

> On 26 March 2014 15:47, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, follow-on question:
>>
>> voip.ms, callcentric, etc. have a rather overwhelming number of options.
>>  For your favourite provider, what's the cheapest way to *just* get what I
>> want: a public, local Kitchener phone number with voicemail sent to email?
>>
>> Darcy.
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I use voip.ms, I've used their voicemail over email reliably, but now I
>>> use the FreePBX Asterisk distro on a little box.  It hasn't let me down.
>>> *crosses fingers*
>>>
>>> I'm amazed at how many voip options are available now.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken