[kwlug-disc] Problem with XBMC?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sun Mar 23 18:30:12 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM, CrankyOldBugger
<crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>wrote:

> 10.42.1.95:/volume1/video /home/(user)/videosharename nfs
> rw,hard,intr,nolock 0 0
> This FSTAB statement has always worked with the Synology shares (at least,
> since Ubuntu 13.04).

Here's the fun part: I can work my way through Nautilus via Browse Network
> and eventually find the very shares that I just got denied to through the
> direct links.

My guess is ownership and permissions. Using my synology 207+ as a
reference, the first user (me) is UID 1026, not UID 1000, like on my
desktop. Likewise with group IDs being different. NFS3 doesn't do any
translation of those IDs.

When you browse through nautilus, you're using samba instead. SMB shares
don't carry unix permissions, and use different authentication and access
controls (and you might have enabled guest access to the share, so it
didn't prompt you for credentials). SMB is, unfortunately, much better
tested on these devices since that is the primary access method for most
users.

I'd suggest changing your fstab entry to use samba, and a credentials file
for user authentication.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>