[kwlug-disc] my freedns.afraid.org venture

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Mar 23 10:44:32 EDT 2014

Hey John.

When you get back to trying this again ...

Forget freedns for the moment, worry about names later. Stick with IPs.

Couple possibilities to recognized: With some equipment you can't test
yourself - trying to go out and back to yourself gets route short cutted
and it falls over. (So in your case, you'd have to ssh, vpn, or
something out to another computer and then come back in to yourself. Or
put a laptop onto a neighbour's wi-fi for a few minutes, or something.)
And, you may be getting sideswacked by equipment wanting to listen on
port 80 itself, and even though it listening is turned off, doesn't pass
it through.

So, for testing, have your web server or ssh (all you'd need to see is a
login prompt) listen to some other port than 80. Put a computer on the
other side of your router and see if it can get to your server. Then
repeat walking the computer out towards the internet. Including the
rogers gateway itself (the other side testing of which is the internet
itself).

- you might not be able to test from inside back to inside that its working.
- use a different port than 80 for testing.
- work from the server computer out to the internet, from the other side
of each router in the chain.