[kwlug-disc] my freedns.afraid.org venture

John Kerr johneddie.kerr at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 20:36:53 EDT 2014

Hi everyone

Thank you for your help. but after working on this all day I can only
deduce that
1. somehow i started off on the wrong foot
2. There is something wrong with the router _- possible
3. freedns.afraid.com is being blocked by rogers
4. something else
So I deleted my domains at freedns.afraid.org
I will try again another day.

there was a short comedy film on TV where the actor got his lines mixed up
and soon within minutes the actor and director and crew did not know if it
was:
"where is the stuff stashed?"
                 OR
"where is the stash stuffed"

That is where i am now.

Thanks again

John

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Hi John - what he (Bob) said.
>
> You have at least two issues:
>
> 1. Trying to map a textual name to your public ip of that moment.
>
> You'll know you have success when you 'nslookup {your name}' give as a
> good number, not something in the private address space.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
>
> (Bob's stuff applies.)
>
> 2. Once getting to that -IP- ('cause dns will to a textual to ip
> translation for you), accessing a service (port) through the router at that
> IP. e.g. Using a web browser, it assumes http services are offered at port
> 80 of an IP, unless told otherwise.
>
> You'll know you have success (don't need 1. above for this), by going to
> http://{your public ip address of that moment}. You can find your public
> ip address at the time by going to http://www.myipadddress.com (lots of
> other ways to get the same info).
>
> - note: You must do this port forwarding on your Roger's gateway (if not
> just a modem) AND EACH SUBSEQUENT ROUTER WITHIN YOUR HOME. So on both the
> Rogers gateway AND your DIR. And each router points to the next one - so,
> e.g. {Rogers gateway:80} -> {DIR:80}, {DIR:80} -> {computer:80}
>
> -----
>
> Lots of people do what you're doing - e.g. anyone calling ssh'ing or
> openvpn'ing in to home, so definitely doable. Although, in my case, I use
> no-ip.com or dynsns.org - didn't know about afraid.org or dnsdynamic.org,
> thank you both for that!
>

> On 14-03-22 03:14 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:

>> Hi John: Is the address of the router the external (WAN) address, or
>> the internal (LAN) address? nslookup tells me
>>
>>  $> nslookup tardisxl5.mooo.com Server:          192.168.1.1 Address:
>>> 192.168.1.1#53
>>>
>>> Non-authoritative answer: Name: tardisxl5.mooo.com Address:
>>> 99.224.254.150
>>>

>> If the 99.224.254.150 address is your external (WAN) address then the
>> problem is most likely punching a hole in your firewall for Web
>> services (port 80) to get from that external address to the internal
>> host providing the Web service. Look for "NAT translation" or
>> "Games/Application Sharing" on the firewall.
>>
>> If 99.224.254.150 is not your external WAN address then something else
>> is wrong. If tardisxl5.mooo.com is not the domain name you're trying
>> to acquire then I don't understand the .conf file you provided.
>>

>> FWIW, I use dnsdynamic.org, which uses the dyndsn2 protocol. My
>> ddclient.conf file looks like this:
>>
>>  # Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf # #
>>> /etc/ddclient.conf
>>>
>>> protocol=dyndns2
>>>
>>> # use=if, if=eth0 use=web, web=myip.dnsdynamic.com        # get ip
>>> from server.
>>>
>>> server=www.dnsdynamic.org login=bjonkman at sobac.com password='really
>>> secret password' lpr.dnsd.me
>>>

>> No, KWLUG haxors, there are no useful services at that address, or
>> login/PW combo.
>>
>> - --Bob.

> [...]

Every child born increases by one the group of people Sir Winston Churchill
called the "so many", who owe so much to the group he called the "so few".