[kwlug-disc] my freedns.afraid.org venture

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Mar 22 15:14:27 EDT 2014

Hi John: Is the address of the router the external (WAN) address, or
the internal (LAN) address? nslookup tells me

> $> nslookup tardisxl5.mooo.com Server:		192.168.1.1 Address:
> 192.168.1.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer: Name:	tardisxl5.mooo.com Address:
> 99.224.254.150

If the 99.224.254.150 address is your external (WAN) address then the
problem is most likely punching a hole in your firewall for Web
services (port 80) to get from that external address to the internal
host providing the Web service. Look for "NAT translation" or
"Games/Application Sharing" on the firewall.

If 99.224.254.150 is not your external WAN address then something else
is wrong. If tardisxl5.mooo.com is not the domain name you're trying
to acquire then I don't understand the .conf file you provided.

FWIW, I use dnsdynamic.org, which uses the dyndsn2 protocol. My
ddclient.conf file looks like this:

> # Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf # #
> /etc/ddclient.conf
>
> protocol=dyndns2
>
> # use=if, if=eth0 use=web, web=myip.dnsdynamic.com        # get ip
> from server.
>
> server=www.dnsdynamic.org login=bjonkman at sobac.com password='really
> secret password' lpr.dnsd.me

No, KWLUG haxors, there are no useful services at that address, or
login/PW combo.

- --Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>          Phone: +1-519-669-0388
http://bob.jonkman.ca/blogs/    http://sn.jonkman.ca/bobjonkman/