[kwlug-disc] Recovering a software raided machine.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Mar 11 20:26:08 EDT 2014

Joe Wennechuk wrote:
> I have dd'd  /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdb1 ?? What is the
> difference?

sdb will get you the entire drive, including the partition table and
master boot loader, and all the partitions sdb1, sdb2...sdbn

If you've only got one partition sdb1, and you're backing up data
because the MBR is damaged, then you're probably fine with just sdb1

I don't know how this works with MBR's replacement, GPT (GUID
Partition Table).

- --Bob, who wouldn't mind a deep geek presentation on GPT and UEFI.