[kwlug-disc] Recovering a software raided machine.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Mar 11 20:02:07 EDT 2014

Not sure there's any need to dd the drive. Others will know the specific
mdadm steps - I don't.

Assuming the drive is indeed a mirror, not a stripe.

You haven't said if there was anything wrong with the disk(s) causing
you to land you where you got. If not, and a mirror, just leave one
drive disconnected. The mirror will be degraded, but once mounted under
knoppix, then chroot'ed, fix whatever you need to fix, probably install
grub or maybe only update-grub. You should be able to then just boot and
get on with your day. Once you feel you're solid, plug the other drive
back in and tell it to sync. (See others for any mdadm commands.)

Sorry, I wasn't clear before.  Do what you gotta do to follow the below,
meant to follow the prior post of:

 >>> This usually means that BIOS can't find boot loader. So, boot in
 >>> rescue mode or from different boot partition, and reinstall boot
 >>> loader (grub, lilo).

If it all goes to heck, you'll always have the other drive to fall back
upon. Assuming it was mirrored not striped, and it was up to sync before
your issues started.