[kwlug-disc] OBD-II/OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Mar 7 10:56:15 EST 2014

I'm planning on attending the April meeting, and I've always got my ODB-II
reader in my car. I don't mind taking a few minutes to read your codes.

If it was a simple problem due to loose gas cap, it would have gone away on
the next diagnostic cycle, after you re-tightened the gas cap. If it's
staying on, it's probably something else.

Since the e-Test is now ODB-II based, you'll fail right away if your check
engine light is on. "Fail", actually, since I think most places won't even
test you if your check engine light is on (which I expect will drive the
ministry-reported failure rate to near 0%). Clearing the error code will
also cause a failure, since you have to have completed a diagnostic cycle.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM, CrankyOldBugger
<crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've had a few different garages hook up similar devices to my truck and
> none of them could figure out how turn the light off, or a couple of them
> could turn it off only to have it come back on in a week, so don't be
> surprised if you spend money on this device and still get no further ahead.
>
> I'm thinking of just putting some tape over the light so I can't see it
> anymore...  ;)
>

> On 6 March 2014 15:29, Andrew Mercer <andrew at andrewmercer.net> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, a lot of nice tech there, but probably way outside my price range.
>> I basically just want to know if my engine light is on because it's the gas
>> cap loose or something insignificant like that. I'm not interested in
>> changing any settings or collecting data, etc.
>>
>> On 2014-03-06 15:14, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not a mechanic, but it seems to me that NAPA has many similar items..
>>>
>>> http://www.flyertown.ca/flyers/napaautoparts-te?sf_
>>> any=true&flyer_run_id=8474&type=1&postal_code=n0b%202n0&
>>> store_code=3900&hide=flyer,catalogue,farmcatalogue#!/
>>> flyers/napaautoparts-te?flyer_run_id=8474
>>> [4]
>>>
>>> On 6 March 2014 15:07, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>  I know of an app for an Android Smartphone called Torque.

>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/be-mechanicwith-
>>> android-and-linux?page=0,0
>>> [2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque
>>> [4]
>>>
>>> http://www.flyertown.ca/flyers/napaautoparts-te?sf_
>>> any=true&flyer_run_id=8474&type=1&postal_
>>> code=n0b%202n0&store_code=3900&hide=flyer,catalogue,
>>> farmcatalogue#!/flyers/napaautoparts-te?flyer_run_id=8474<http://www.flyertown.ca/flyers/napaautoparts-te?sf_any=true&flyer_run_id=8474&type=1&postal_code=n0b%202n0&store_code=3900&hide=flyer,catalogue,farmcatalogue#!/flyers/napaautoparts-te?flyer_run_id=8474>

>> --
>> Andrew Mercer
>> Kitchener, ON
>>
>> www.andrewmercer.net