[kwlug-disc] Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jun 30 23:44:00 EDT 2014

Nothing. Stay Sata over USB. USB will always have more overhead than
SATA. Let alone, e.g. Some utilities have problems managing disks over
USB vs 'direct' connect. (Partitioning? GPT?) And, as you know, eSata is
just Sata with a different connector. (Never mind the external
connectors on my internal card are sata connectors, not esata connectors
- watch for that! REALLY annoying to come home with the wrong cables.)
Sata is a direct protocol, perhaps tunnelled over usb. (Thus, you don't
see drives with usb connectors, AFAIK.)

Bear in mind, there are two moving solutions going on here ...

Darcy's internal / MB, possibly even RAIDed drive (set?).

Paul's occasional (?) ultimate performance not necessarily necessary one
drive / one off occasional use case.

Go (e)Sata if you can, merely pointed out USB for Paul's use case as a
possible native MB sata connector preserving solution.

I certainly see USB if a laptop, eSata ports on laptops seem scarce -
and you're not likely to see 4 sata drive raids hanging off a laptop, I
expect.

Thanks Khalid for that heads up on the dual drive dock problem. (Mind
you, two drives over one connector is inherently going to go at best
half the speed of the cable. I guess only if both drives are talking at
the same time.)

I guess, if a laptop, and needing to transfer between external drives,
one being eSata and one being USB 3 would have merit.