[kwlug-disc] Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 30 20:09:26 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 06:09:14PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> Let us backtrack a bit ...
>
> You need eSATA, perhaps for backup ...

This is sort of the case. We are building a computer with a lot of
storage. The eSATA port would be used to get some files off that
storage in a hurry. "A hurry" does not necessarily mean that fastest
speeds SATA is capable of, but it does mean that transfers should be
reliable, and connections should not drop.

> But do you need it to be PCIe?

Not necessarily. Regular PCI expansion cards seem much slower, though,
and as I mention below I won't have any motherboard SATA ports to
spare.

> When I needed eSATA, I found that my older Aspire M3400 "server" has a
> chipset that supports eSATA (SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller). All I did
> was get a bracket that connected from the internal SATA connectors on the
> motherboard to the back of the PC so I can plug in the eSATA cable to the
> dock.
>
> The speed ranges from 29,955 kB/s to 43,330 kB/s.
>
> Perhaps that would be sufficient for your need?

In an ordinary situation, maybe. However, in this computer I am
planning to use all the internal SATA connections for other drives.

Honestly the differences between eSATA and SATA still confuse me, even
after reading the Wikipedia article. Is it true that not all SATA
ports on a motherboard can be converted to eSATA with these
connectors?

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org