[kwlug-disc] Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 30 18:09:14 EDT 2014

Let us backtrack a bit ...

You need eSATA, perhaps for backup ...

But do you need it to be PCIe?

When I needed eSATA, I found that my older Aspire M3400 "server" has a
chipset that supports eSATA (SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller). All I did
was get a bracket that connected from the internal SATA connectors on the
motherboard to the back of the PC so I can plug in the eSATA cable to the
dock.

The speed ranges from 29,955 kB/s to 43,330 kB/s.

Perhaps that would be sufficient for your need?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> As a corollory to Darcy's excellent question (which I do not have an
> answer for either, even though we are going through a very similar
> exercise at work), I am looking for some PCIe eSATA cards that will
> work reliably under Linux (in particular, under Debian/Ubuntu).
>
> Here are some expansion cards I have found so far. Reviews report that
> they all seem to have problems with large I/O transfers:
>
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815287028
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124056
>
> I am guessing that some chipsets are supported well under Linux and
> some are not, but I do not know how to find good, compatible cards.
>
> Ideally the card would have some internal SATA ports along with the
> eSATA ones, but this is not a firm requirement.
>
> - Paul
>
> --
> http://pnijjar.freeshell.org

Khalid M. Baheyeldin