[kwlug-disc] Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 30 18:01:02 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 03:37:54PM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815287028
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064

These two are PCIe 2.0 x1 which is 5Gbps.  It's sharing that amongst 4 x
6Gbps SATA.  You do the math. :-)

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124056

This one looks like PCIe 2.0 x4 but fine prints say it's x2 which comes
to 10Gbps.  It's sharing that amongst 4 x 6Gbps SATA.

> I am guessing that some chipsets are supported well under Linux and
> some are not, but I do not know how to find good, compatible cards.

I have two old PCIe 1.0 x1 which is 2.5Gbps shared by 2 x 3Gbps SATA.
One from generic ByteCC and another Vantec.  They are IDENTICAL with
Silicon Image chipset, and no problem so far.

However, "no problem" on Asus motherboard.  When I tried them on
Gigabyte motherboard, it didn't boot.
--
William