[kwlug-disc] Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 30 15:37:54 EDT 2014

As a corollory to Darcy's excellent question (which I do not have an
answer for either, even though we are going through a very similar
exercise at work), I am looking for some PCIe eSATA cards that will
work reliably under Linux (in particular, under Debian/Ubuntu).

Here are some expansion cards I have found so far. Reviews report that
they all seem to have problems with large I/O transfers:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815287028

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124056

I am guessing that some chipsets are supported well under Linux and
some are not, but I do not know how to find good, compatible cards.

Ideally the card would have some internal SATA ports along with the
eSATA ones, but this is not a firm requirement.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org