[kwlug-disc] How to choose a new motherboard

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 30 16:25:44 EDT 2014

I use laptops exclusively as desktops. And I use desktops as servers.
So, I don't use things like sound or GUI on desktops.

Having bought many machines (desktops and laptops) in the past 10 years or
so, they all work fine with Linux, and there is no more "sound does not
work", ...etc.

When a desktop (server) started acting up inconsistently, and it was time
to replace it, I just checked what is in the flyers and picked one out from
BestBuy for a reasonable price. I think it is an ASUS. It replaced an Acer.
Both worked fine with Linux.

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm getting random drive errors on multiple drives on my old desktop
> machine (SMART tests say OK).  So I'm guessing the drive controller's
> failing on the motherboard.  So it's time to get a new one.
>
> It's been a while since I last bought a motherboard/CPU.  I was wondering
> if anyone knew of any decent resources to figure out (a) how well various
> motherboards/chipsets respect my freedom (or even, say, can I run Ubuntu on
> them without too much hassle), (b) whether they're any good or not or even
> (c) what the various socket/chipset/CPU names represent these days.  I have
> no idea.
>
> I'm googling, but if you've got any favourite sites, I'm happy to hear
> about them.
>
> Darcy.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.