[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Jun 29 16:11:44 EDT 2014

Ach. Some.

 >> "Maximize their profit" is what business do.  And, THAT is the public
 >> interest.

No. That is in the business' interest. Only. The public's interest is a
wider context that is not theirs.

Whether maximizing the profit is in the company's interest or the
shareholder's interest can be argued, but in theory the directors
represent the shareholders and they decide what is in the company's
interest. Erroneous or no. You can also debate that this, like the legal
system, has been suborned as those with money can starve you out.

Whether being a good citizen is good business, to what extent, and how,
well, that too is up to the business. But also why we have regulation.
And criminal law. And fraud. (Never mind when the business is an
individual. Or the individual thinks the business is theirs.)

Like ... thou shalt adhere to good food safety practices.

What the public interest is, is debatable, and that the institutions for
discerning such, be they regulators, government, or politicians, seems
broken - is another story for another place and time.