[kwlug-disc] Grounding for antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 16 10:27:54 EDT 2014

Yes, the pre-amp needs a power inserter over the coax.
It comes with a DC power supply that has a coax connector at the end, and
that goes into a splitter like thing to send DC to the pre-amp.

Since I was replacing the old splitter that splits the signal to the TV and
PVR, I got this one that is a 4 way
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/4-way-hgtv-satellite-splitter-23ghz/945503

And the 4th output is terminated.

And then injected power through it, after the surge protector. So the same
100 ft cable from the pre-amp goes to the surge protector, then the
splitter acts as a power injector.

This is to have one less break in the connection. But in reality, there is
no big difference in doing it the usual way vs. through the splitter.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 2:00 AM, <rbclemen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, the surge protector is probably doing the grounding for you. As
> for how much signal loss you experience thru the surge protector I have no
> idea. Also I assume your pre-amp has a power inserter. Is it before or
> after the surge protector?

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal