[kwlug-disc] Grounding for antenna

Paul Gallaway paul at gallaway.ca
Mon Jun 16 10:02:23 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:07 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> I was thinking of grounding the coax at the mast, to the grounding rod that
> will be connected by a wire to the rod in the ground.
>
> Anything wrong with this?

I don't think it's a problem. If you do it near the house you'll need
to attach it to your house ground. If you do it at the mast you would
attach it to your new rod.

In theory your two grounds (the antenna rod and hour house ground) are
suppose to be bonded (a wire between the two). Apparently with a
differential grounds you can get ground-loop hums, or voltage
travelling between the two if you ever have a situation with
differential voltage of the two grounds is great enough (e.g. it would
travel across your tuner). There is no easy way for me to do this
based on where my antenna is installed (I would have to run a wire
through the foundation and don't have the tooling to do this) so I
haven't bonded my antenna ground to my house ground yet. So far no
issues but YMMV. Maybe John has more information on the reasons for
doing this and the likelihood of problems?

~pAul.

all good things, all in good time...