[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jun 12 14:55:06 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Paul Gallaway <paul at gallaway.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> > Here it is with more pictures
> >

> http://baheyeldin.com/writings/technology/how-to-get-free-hd-tv-using-an-antenna-in-waterloo-ontario.html
>
> I don't see any mention of grounding the antenna and mast, or even the RG6
> cable at the house.

The RG6 cable comes into the house to a surge protector, alluded to in the
wiring "diagram".

I am investigating options for the mast itself, where a grounding clamp,
wire and rod buried in the ground.

This stuff is on the Home Depot site (and others), but would appreciate any
advice from people who sourced this stuff.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> > Anyone knows how much reduction in disk space usage if one is to preserve
> > quality?
>
> The lossless mythtv transcoding is a little different, it just drops
> frames it doesn't need. Quality is subjective but using handbrake to
> convert to h264 mkv's, I can easily get files 1/4 the size of the
> original mpeg (or smaller) that I am quite happy with.

Thanks. That is helpful. I prefer command line, so will look for the
equivalent commands for ffmpeg.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.