[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

Paul Gallaway paul at gallaway.ca
Thu Jun 12 14:09:37 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> Here it is with more pictures
>
> http://baheyeldin.com/writings/technology/how-to-get-free-hd-tv-using-an-antenna-in-waterloo-ontario.html

I don't see any mention of grounding the antenna and mast, or even the
RG6 cable at the house. Maybe you did and just don't mention it or I
missed the email, just putting it out there again. Not an expert but I
understand it's a very good idea and not just for lightning strikes,
but wind will build static that will shorten the life expectancy of
your equipment and or cause ground hum like issues. I used grounding
and surge suppression.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> Anyone knows how much reduction in disk space usage if one is to preserve
> quality?

The lossless mythtv transcoding is a little different, it just drops
frames it doesn't need. Quality is subjective but using handbrake to
convert to h264 mkv's, I can easily get files 1/4 the size of the
original mpeg (or smaller) that I am quite happy with.

~pAul.

all good things, all in good time...