[kwlug-disc] GUI Backup Software

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 11 17:12:46 EDT 2014

Nah.

Nothing at this level doesn't involve clients on the machines. (Which
usually push, or server polls. [vs pulls])

This will be imaging of machines back to central server.

I immediately thought of Amanda (as others have said, Open Source,
always has been - John presented on it at one point) - think of Linux /
OpenSource equivalent to Seagate Backup Exec Enterprise. I think I
mentioned it earlier, including the non-trivial setup necessary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Maryland_Automatic_Network_Disk_Archiver
, http://www.amanda.org/

For this, you're never really going to have a gui. (But a web interface
probably, at least with Seagate). e.g. As mentioned, webmin. (Seems to
me you could customize a webmin page, much like an mmc snap-in, for a
backup status page the boss could go to at will.)

Nor do you really want one - if a backup isn't working, your boss isn't
going to do anything about it. Except know that something went wrong,
and call you (to fix, remotely).

In essence, barring other additional personnel requirements you haven't
told us about yet, all you really want is a dashboard - all is well with
world - if not, which one isn't. Phone Joe to go fix - vacation be darned.

mondo-archive is also a candidate for you, here. (Images to iso's store
on filesystem. e.g. Central store at site, if not on each local
machine.) http://www.mondorescue.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondo_Rescue

I think, however, you're not really talking backups - you're talking vm
snapshots. Snap to local storage. rsync (or backup) from that storage
back home. Perhaps even remote btrfs file system snapshots of the local
store is in play here.

I'm guessing you're in this boat because you're looking for high uptime
/ recovery time, just in case. Something goes kaflooey, restore last
known good snapshot, get on with your day. Note - not good for e-mail or
sql servers, they'll be very unhappy if you don't have an up to the
second restore. You need separate sql and/or e-mail dumps for that -
processes usually built in with the server software itself. Possiby same
for file stores, but users typically have copies squirrelled away
somewhere themselves, too. Mirroring / live replication file systems
could be in play for that.

Backups back home would only come in to play / be useful if their entire
building went up, in which case you have many other problems on your
plate first. Like acquiring hardware, and a home for it, to have
something to restore to in the first place.

Local storage would also put the onus for backups / hardware on the
client, not you.

Under this scenario, it would also suggest local archival backups,
probably to a removable HD, that you periodically courier from them to
you. i.e. In the scenario with the building gone, whether the backup is
a week old or not, they'll be happy to have it back at all.

If they're not, then they're looking at a different beastie, and would
be their problem, not yours, to effect some sort of live backup/restore
to cloud.

In the mean time, I know get that you are probably really intending a
last ditch (vendor - to customer) CYA solution.

Probably worth a heart to heart with your boss / client - this can get
very expensive very quickly, hardware wise. Software may be free. Add in
your own learning curve time, too.

And don't forget ... test your solution once in place. The only thing
worse than the backup not made is the broken backup - at least with the
former you don't do backflips trying to get back the unrecoverable. Nor
do you lose the contract for failure to deliver.