[kwlug-disc] GUI Backup Software

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 11 12:37:01 EDT 2014

Khalid makes good points. In the end, it is inevitably going to be
command line. It just is. e.g. They have to run whether or not a desktop
is up, if the script even has permission to put anything on that user's
desktop at the time. And for any users to really help you in this area,
you're going to have to give them sudo or root access. (Whether that's
an issue for you is up to you.)

I believe I've seen some rsync gui's that could be helpful for putting
out the command line for you. Your command line script could then call it.

The most significant thing I've found with backups is making sure you
have a good alert mechanism upon failure. (For me, success too, as I
like to see that it ran - so my scripts put a popup regardless, and the
error log in kwrite if there is an error.) Backups are only useful if
they run, successfully. And many fiddly bits seem to be able to get in
the way. There are various script bits necessary to make those popups
happen. Logs out to e-mail (group?) are useful too, but such can bury
people into background noise.

The most successful backups I've seen mirror disk contents elsewhere on
the net. (Then backup from there to something more backupy.) Such let's
knowledgeable users get stuff back accidentally deleted, which seems to
be the most frequent issue to address. Other than backups (running
successfully at all).

It would help us if you could give us a sense of the nature of the help
they will be giving you. e.g. Backup failure and addressing is different
than just digging out an accidentally deleted file.

Seems to me Amanda is the most popular / comprehensive backup tool out
there (other than rsync), but has a non-trivial back end setup burden to it.

'aptitude search backup' also reveals backup-manager, backuppc, sbackup,
and many more.

Your question is made more complex when you get into number of replicas,
rotation, maintenance, frequency, archive off to removable media or not,
and ... lots more.

I use rsync and scripts, including calling mondo-archive to image system
partitions. I don't archive off, just burp last night's archive to a
replica before taking tonight's backup. (Leaving original files in
place, so I have 3 days to catch something accidentally deleted before
its gone forever.)

YMMV.

GL&HF!