[kwlug-disc] GUI Backup Software

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jun 11 10:32:19 EDT 2014

Is this for a regular scheduled backup?
If so, then it should be a cron job, and no need for entering any commands.

Unless you are trying to list the contents of previous backups, or
selectively extract files from?
If so, then there are multiple GUI thingies that can read the archives (for
example, tar.gz), e.g. on KDE it is included by default with Dolphin.

Also, if you want to stay with rsync, then there is lucky backup, which is
in Debian/Ubuntu repositories. Here is the description:

Version: 0.4.6-1
 luckyBackup is an application that backs-up and/or synchronizes any
directories with the power of rsync. Its main features are:
 backup, safety, synchronization, exclude/only include options, allows
custom rsync options, remote connections, restore and dry-run
 operations, scheduling, profiles and command line mode.

 It is simple to use, fast (transfers over only changes made and not all
data), safe (keeps your data safe by checking all declared
 directories before proceeding in any data manipulation ), reliable and
fully customizable.
Homepage: http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Joe Wennechuk <
youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I need a good Opensource GUI based backup solution. We have a bunch of
> rsync scripts currently, and they work for the most part, but I need to get
> some other people to help me with the backups, and they are not command
> line people.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal