[kwlug-disc] Website hosting

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jun 10 21:37:50 EDT 2014

For that matter, check me on this ...

Webmail, in the end is talking POP or IMAP to a server - it's just a
client, outputting to html. Nothing says that email server is on that
web server? If so, it doesn't much matter where the email server is. Nor
much matter where the e-mail client is. Your site, or a redirect to your
e-mail provider's web equivalent.

(Frequently, web mail is an app - just like wordpress, or wikimedia.
What web e-mail is your site using? Which is to say, doesn't mean
another provider doesn't use the same web app.)

To Khalid's point, for all they know it's a google imap using a
RoundCube client.

Remember, different services, and different servers. Web and E-mail are
distinct. Host on different places, user transparent. e.g. RoundCube web
e-mail client on your (or any other) site, sucking mail from another box
entirely (somewhere else in the ether). [Just a server setting in your
web client admin.]

And to Khalid's point, that e-mail could be some other popular provider
dealing with all the fiddly bits.

Khalid - Google Apps stopped being free for anyone in the last year or
so. Those who had accounts are grandfather in for free, life, but that's
it. The U.S. has other non-profit free equivalents, but not Canada. AFAIK.