[kwlug-disc] OT:Cable Splitters/Rogers

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 9 13:52:40 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) <
aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:

> It doesn’t sound like much, but remember that 3dB is a halving of the
> original signal level. When Khalid mentioned that newer boxes are very
> sensitive he means that they’re able to lock on and recover signals that’ve
> been attenuated to hell through poor cable plant, lots of
> connectors/splitters/staples/etc.. Receiver sensitivity is a very important
> metric in my opinion. Same with noise figure (NF) when it comes to
> amplifiers. A lot of people get into ATSC and buy the cheapest, strongest
> “low noise” amplifier they can find, thinking that the 40dB gain it gives
> will help, but forget to look at the NF and don’t realize that their strong
> amp is adding a good 5dB of noise to the signal they’re trying to pick up.
> (/aside)

I was quoting the second Rogers tech who solved the problem. The first guy
said it was the filter on the curb box. The second guy solved it by having
the last few feet replaced.

He was lamenting that the Cisco 4642 HD have a low tolerance to signal
issues, and that is why some channels will not show up properly.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.