[kwlug-disc] OT:Cable Splitters/Rogers

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Mon Jun 9 13:50:43 EDT 2014

On 2014-06-09 12:49, unsolicited wrote:
> OK, so digital service, never mind the analog comments.

I was avoiding this part of the conversation because I quickly get in
over my head and / or show my age and / or dated knowledge.
I am pleased to Khalid's detailed explanations of his troubles and
solutions.
Nothing beats empirical experience / evidence.

Points to consider:
1) Any cable of any length is an analog medium (i.e. transmission line).
And there are analog concerns with any signal, analog or digital.
2) A 'digital' service is really an analog RF carrier signal modulated
with digital content.
3) The modulated digital signal may be multiplexed and may be carrying
any number of individual digital channels.

Some of the 'old' analog rules still apply, e.g. cable / connector
quality / impedance / attenuation.
Some of the 'old' analog rules may not apply, e.g. getting audio for TV
VHF channel 2 or 3 on an FM radio.

I will stop here for the reasons given above.
jsquared