[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jun 5 14:18:24 EDT 2014

U.S. article, unfortunately - I think the Canadian regulatory
environment plays out differently.

Not that the sentiment isn't the same by the vendors, and we have the
CRTC, but it all seems to play out differently.

e.g. Yonge St., Front to Bloor, is all fibre'ed, and available to
purchase, AFAIK. (Even if cost prohibitive?)

I expect the biggest problem is inter-city links to other cities /
backbones, building out the glass (fibre). What links there are are
probably only inter-provider links. What, microwave or bonded copper for
the rest? Northern Ontario and BC mountains probably being particularly
problematic.

I think its gotten better with more things transiting the links (e.g.
phone), but I expect it's a slow creep.