[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jun 5 13:59:47 EDT 2014

Yep.

Agreed. Sense I have is Rogers techs don't look it up, just do. And
Roger's doesn't care. I can't imagine they don't receive complaints.

Plus, aside from Rogers issues, Acanac has been beaten up for poor
support (access) / response times, even for non-Rogers issues.

But, once it works, it keeps doing so. Until a tech comes along and ...

Note to selves: If you get TP cable internet - GO TAG YOUR CABLE WITHIN
THE LOCAL CABLE BOX!

I've no doubt the DSL resellers have their own comparable stories about
Bell. Probably even Telus and SHAW out west, too.

On 14-06-05 01:09 PM, Paul Gallaway wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>> IIRC (year or two back), Acanac was starved to be able to add more
>> subscribers in this area because the reseller side of the Grand Crest Place
>> / Kitchener facility was maxed out.
> [...]
>> Rogers eventually built out more capacity - Acanac was able to then accept
>> more subscribers.
>
> This happened to me too. By the time I was ready to sign up with
> 3rd-party modem in hand purchased from Canada Computers, they (Acanac
> and Teksavvy [Distributel?]) were no longer accepting new hookups.
> Took a few months to clear up in my neighbourhood but was
> significantly longer in other KW neighbourhoods based on what I read
> on DSLreports at the time.
>
> I have had one issue that required support. This was a nightmare that
> took days to be resolved. I emailed Acanac support, Acanac support
> emailed Rogers, Rogers emails response to Acanac support, Acanac
> Support emails update to me. ...

> ... At one time there was a 'fixer' on the
> Acanac forums (handle 'ferg', I think), who could check in on the
> status of your support ticket for you and get you more frequent
> updates. He was most helpful, but phoning in to yell at someone
> doesn't happen.

Fergless. Still there last time I looked.

He had access to the support tickets, so could tell you if information
was missing preventing them from proceeding / what a holdup was /
currently expected time frame for next step. (That they could get the
same with online access to the ticketing system ...)

> My support issue occurred because when I signed up with Acanac

GO TAG YOUR CABLE UPON INSTALL! (-:
(Make it easy for a tech to see they shouldn't do something.)

Any supplier - it's the Rogers techs that do you in, without notice to
anyone or anything. All you or your provider knows is you're not
working. And finding out why is only via e-mail (2 day turnaround).