[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 4 22:56:46 EDT 2014

 > How can that work if two modems use the same frequencies?

They don't. With high speed cable internet came the use of channels
within the frequencies, which are then bonded.

At least currently, there are so many channels available that two
services aren't going to starve each other for sufficient channels.

(In any case, my intention at the time was to keep Rogers, order the
2nd, once the new was proven up, disconnect the Rogers and drive it to
the Rogers video store. i.e. At no time did I expect to have two
services actually live.)

(This is also apparently the only way to cancel Rogers service
immediately - over the phone you give 30 days notice, but you can also
take your device in and service gets cancelled effective that day.)

-----

Andrew's note reminds me ...

If you look at the modem web page, it will show the channels used.
Definitely more than 1.

I think some will use more than 4 now, don't remember if provider will,
yet. I seem to remember one advantage of a prior acanac/rogers approved
modem was up to 6 channels, and the one that came after, 8.

Andrew's note also reminds me - we forget, cable internet / Rogers has
up to something like 10 subscribers on the same piece of cable in a
loop. (Unlike Bell twisted pair / point to point.) [Thus a Rogers
subscriber can attack their Rogers neighbour directly, while Bell
subscribers can't. Seems to me there's even specific language about this
in the Rogers/resellers ToS/ToU.]

Seems to me I remember encountering this first when people were looking
for redundant internet service. It never made sense to me to bind a
5Mbps telco twisted pair with a +8Mbps cable internet (evenly
distributed load balancing by rotating TCP sessions would always leave
one going faster than the other, so some other scheduling schema was
going to make more sense.) At the same time, it didn't make sense to me
if going for redundancy to depend upon the same physical piece of
copper. (Dual cable internet service.)

Also, don't forget Rogers internet / TV / phone all on same cable is
actually each using some of the (essentially inexhaustible) bands
available. e.g. TV is still being delivered via internet, just a private
back end Rogers endpoint - yet all on the same cable. Being a private
service, there are no band regulatory restrictions (?). (Except basic
cable TVs can only tune certain frequencies. Outside of that, infinite
bandwidth / frequencies.)

So, the Rogers TV box is also just a digital (network) terminal on the
private backbone, delivering/translating audio/video out.

Which is all part of why I hate Rogers - I'm paying for a pipe, give me
the whole pipe. None of this this is your section of the pipe, this is not.

And why I call their home phone VoIP - which is what it is. Private
endpoint be darned. To heck with marketing speak. It's all just VoIP!

<tthhpptt>