[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 4 15:20:08 EDT 2014

Rogers has fibre?

Friends got Bell Fibe - took me a bit to detect FTTN not FTTH. Let
alone, their phone still on original copper. Given their administrative
hassle since, I have no mind to ever return to Bell, even if it worked
out a bit cheaper. Let alone, I don't expect any non-primary provider
fibre whole/resellers any time soon. i.e. I've seen nothing to date to
make me believe Rogers copper (resold) isn't the way to go.

On 14-06-04 02:42 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> Yeah, that was a good selling point for Start, and they were my go to
> choice up until today. That is, before the new plans made them less
> attractive.
>
> The issue here is that my contract with Rogers is mid July, and I have to
> give them 1 month notice. So I will be on the new plans for all the
> providers regardless.
>
> I will see what Rogers say when I call to cancel. They did put me on a
> really good plan (~ $82 tax included for hybrid fibre internet with TV
> included).
>
> Even with the pesky teenagers, we never pass 200GB a month, but want some
> safety margin, hence 300GB is enough. No need to go unlimited.
>
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>
>> Quick boo at start ...
>>
>> Did you see if you already have cable internet, the installation fee may
>> be waived? i.e. No $50 install fee in your chart below?
>>
>> For me, comparing apples to apples (unlimited), the tier you note would be
>> $60 for me, +15 for unlimited. Good to know! Thanks.
>>
>> Based on that, and prior comments on this stuff in the list, seems vmedia
>> would still be the choice for me. Contrary comments welcome.
>>
>> Note that it is/may be different for Khalid - I don't (currently?) stream,
>> while he has multiple 'pesky teenagers' (?) who do stream, so his
>> requirements are slightly different than mine.
>>

>> On 14-06-04 01:35 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>>
>>> The time to ditch Rogers is nearing, so time to evaluate what is available
>>> for cable internet in the Kitchener Waterloo area.
>>>
>>> I was almost settled on Start, after seeing positive feedback on this
>>> group, as well as friends who switched maybe 6 months back. However, they
>>> have changed their plans in the past month or so, and they are no longer
>>> comparable to others.
>>>
>>> We close to 200GB per month, so a 300GB plan is adequate. No need for
>>> unlimited if it is fro extra cost.
>>>
>>> So the current line up is as follows:
>>>
>>> Teksavvy (which I am inclined to go with so far)
>>> 45Mbps/4, 300GB per month
>>> $56 a month
>>> $65 installation fee
>>> $99 modem purchase
>>> http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable/cable-45
>>>
>>> Vmedia (negative feedback on their IPTV service, but internet service
>>> seems
>>> good).