[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 4 14:16:21 EDT 2014

I expected to go with them (Acanac) myself, for some long time, until I
discovered vmedia. (Have yet to switch off Rogers, myself.)

Upon discovery, found they (vmedia) were non-trivially cheaper.

Acanac forums are pervasive with poor service descriptions. Poor
response time / not enough support staff.

vmedia impression was of lower prices and much better support, time,
attitudes. dslreports (I think) has many of them by which to try and
gauge impressions of providers. e.g. Not that people didn't know that,
but that I went through a while back and was able to do some reading
surrounding vmedia.

Around time of Khalid's last messages, I had concluded vmedia was the
way to go. (Let alone unlimited, and just take that irritant off the
table.) Hadn't heard of start 'til then. Will be digging based on his
message.

Did get in to CanadaComputers to have a peek a vmedia tv side, not
impressed - not for what it was but because, I guess, it will never be
Roger's/cable - particularly, not all channels are cloud pvr'ed, if you
can call it a pvr. Turnkey / pvr solution will be important to me, so my
conclusion thus far is I'll never be able to get away from Roger's TV /
their PVR boxes - once / if I'm ever forced off basic cable, rendering
my current PVR useless. [Let alone, over time, and help from this list,
establishing an XBMC simultaneous alternative until personally
demonstrably proven I can ditch Roger's TV entirely.]