[kwlug-disc] Redmine as PIM? [Was: Re: Redmine Plugins.]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jun 3 13:35:41 EDT 2014

Redmine sure sounds interesting. A presentation some day sounds like it
would be a wonderful thing. Mind you, I think I saw some YouTube walkthrus.

'Bitnami' too, for that matter. A cursory look feels like there's some
wonderful voodoo going on in there, too.

With the demise of Palm PIMs, or they not really making it standalone
(no cloud, or minimal cloud) into the google / android world, I've
sometimes wondered if something like redmine makes any sense, on an
individual basis. Even with the server (in a vm?) overhead.

Show stoppers have always been lack of multi-platform (I could have to
sit down anywhere - linux, windows, [chromebook?]) and I've never really
been keen on a web-only interface, and the lack of (real) sub-tasks /
projects (in the PIM alternatives).

The only real cross-platform thing I've seen is possibly Thunderbird w/
Lightning (no tasks that can be called tasks), or Zimbra (no experience,
but something desktop was missing caused me to move on, perhaps filters,
or something).

Then there's EssentialPIM, not cross-platform, or DejaOffice, but one is
back to finding unique clients per platform, rather than a consistent
look / feel wherever one's bum hits a chair at that moment.

Does a single person CMS or other type of server make any sense in this
day and age to try to get PIM like aggregation in one's workflow?