[kwlug-disc] (question) Which UPS to buy?

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Mon Jun 2 13:08:40 EDT 2014

On 2014-06-02 12:32, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> component failure (fun having a 6kVA inverter blow up in your face!).
> Maybe it is just a fact of life when it comes to power electronics.
>
> That said, they are a necessary evil.  I have had reasonable luck with
> Eaton/Powerware UPSes.
Earlier Andrew described component failure in the insulation of the
internal wiring in motors being driven from VFD drives, where the output
is not dissimilar to that of a UPS.

Add this to component stresses due rapid and continuous cycling of
voltages that cause can stresses in the components and possible failure.
Some of this is, as said, above a 'fact of life when it comes to power
electronics'.

This can be addressed by what is sometimes called 'over-engineering',
e.g. using components with a higher margin of 'safety', better
mechanical design including better heat sinks, etc.

But this increases cost and this and other drivers conspire to remove
the 'over-engineering' and with that an acceptance, by the manufacturer,
of a certain failure rate.

Note: APC and Eaton are leaders in this field.

jsquared