[kwlug-disc] UPS sized battery purchasing locally?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Jun 1 18:24:41 EDT 2014

I checked in to that, and I concluded replacing the batteries worth it,
because of the stupid cost of UPS'.

Check canada computers for ups, sort by price, and you'll see units and
replacement batteries in the column and be able to judge, yourself. My
conclusion was +$30 to add a ups (that I don't need) to replace.

Especially if, as you say, the batteries that come with them possibly
being less 'capable' loss leaders in the first place. Don't know that
with certainty, but have seen that in other products. e.g. cordless phones?

The other thing that bopped me upside the head was that the cheapest
ups' (to keep a router up over a 2 second power glitch), don't have
replaceable battery slots. i.e. the need to have such separate
compartments is probably a non-trivial cost component in the prices seen
above.

OTOH, for anyone comfortable with such, opening up such units and
swapping out the batteries is trivial. *IF* you can find a non-specific,
one-off run battery not used.

Worst case I found was to buy replacement batteries for $27 (x 3, plus
$8 shipping - digikey). On that basis, seems worth it.

Even better, and the reason for my question, if I can take my unit to a
local store and find a larger capacity A wise than in there currently,
and still have it fit. Lots of room in there, and easy enough to dremel
a couple outthrusts out. But I rather want to see it in my hands before
purchase. Rather than blindly buy over web.

Certainly shipping / weight costs have been a concern in the past. Many
years ago I bought a Tripp-Lite (cause I wanted pure sine out) from ncix
- heavy, but worth it - at the time. (SU750XL) i.e. No Canada Computers
around then.

For this purchase (keeping router up), if I HAD to replace, I would now
make very sure a very popular battery was being used, so I could just
pop down to the local store, with some confidence it might actually be
in stock. Sadly, this probably means I would have to buy an APC piece of ...

[I say that only because APC seems to be cost uncompetitive, especially
vis a vis the competitive features for the same price it does not have.
Like pure sine out.]

So, in my / this case, I think it worth it. Bonus if I can find
something local (like Sayal, thanks JJ), but even if not I'll order over
the web. Bearing in mind these are wee little batteries,
4.02"Lx1.89"Wx2.58"H - so I'm not dealing with the battery weight of a
real ups, here.

HTH.