[kwlug-disc] Any experience with cloudatcost.com VPS?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jul 30 14:07:19 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> One final thought: do SSDs really matter in this context?
> I did not find the spinning-rust version of Linode that slow,
> and I am not sure we are dramatically faster with an SSD.
> As far as I can tell we are slow because we are constrained
> by other things.

No, the regular hard disks were not slow.

But I do feel that things are snappier after the SSD upgrade.

Perhaps they found a good deal buying in bulk? And maybe they are the
hybrid SSDs, which is a small SSD front ending a larger regular hard
disk.

Seems that Digital Ocean pressure is a factory, and now DO has a 512MB
$5 a month plan.

Side note: one of my main gripes against overhyping virtualization was
that you can slice the CPUs, allocate memory and all this is good.

However, when it comes to hard disks, they can be partitioned space
wise, but there is only a finite amount of I/Os per second, and any
site that does a lot of writes will exhaust this quickly.

So, if your disk is shared with many sites and a few of them are
heavy, you get the "flushing the toilet when someone is in the shower
syndrome" except that it is apartment building wide, and you don't
know who flushed!

With SSDs being faster in I/O, this is quite a relief for some time.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.