[kwlug-disc] Any experience with cloudatcost.com VPS?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 30 13:54:58 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:42:47PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> There are alternatives and they are getting cheaper ...
>
> Linode now has a USD $10 a month plan that gets you a 1GB VPS. And the
> storage is SSD, so it is fast.
>
> The plans doubled the memory and added SSD (with somewhat less vCPUs)
> for half the previous cost. So someone who was on a $40 2GB plan can
> resize to the $20 plan after the upgrade and still get 2GB for half
> the cost.
>
> Their uptime is amazing, and their tech support is exemplary.
>
> I just wish and hope they don't get bought out like SliceHost was
> bought by RackSpace Cloud (who ruined it).

I hope they can afford to sell a $10 plan and stay in business! We
have been thinking about downgrading our package as well, but unless
we decide to get a second $10 Linode to compensate, I think it is in
our long-term interests to stick with the $20 offering.

It's pretty clear to me that this $10 plan was a response to
DigitalOcean's cheap VPSes, so according to capitalism I am not
supposed to care.  But we have been remarkably happy with Linode so far,
and I do not want to switch because it is eaten up by a competitor.

Does anybody have experience using DigitalOcean? How is their uptime?
Their support?

I am not surprised that CloudAtCost is having trouble. Did anybody
really think they could offer a $35 lifetime plan sustainably? I could
believe that an introductory offer might work, but it was not obvious
that this was an introductory offer.

One final thought: do SSDs really matter in this context? I did not
find the spinning-rust version of Linode that slow, and I am not sure
we are dramatically faster with an SSD. As far as I can tell we are
slow because we are constrained by other things.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org