[kwlug-disc] Virtualization technology

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Jul 28 17:15:33 EDT 2014

On 28/07/14 05:05 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> So, while staying within the free and open source alternatives, what
> are the options that people use? KVM? Xen? What else? With a bit of
> details on what you like and what you don't like where possible.

I used Xen back in <= RHEL5, but switched to KVM with RHEL 6+. Xen was
great in that it made virtualization possible on pretty much any
computer, but it came with a non-trivial complexity, particularly with
regard to networking and kernel compatibility.

With hardware virtualization support, KVM became much more attractive.
With the virtio network and block drivers, even Microsoft OS clients ran
very fast. The networking got a lot simpler and you no longer had to
worry about dom0/domU kernel issues.

When you add to this that Xen is, though open, supported by a decidedly
less open company versus KVM being backed by Red Hat, a decidedly open
company (if not perfect), KVM is a clear choice, I would argue.

--
Digimer
access to education?