[kwlug-disc] Moving away from Rogers Internet

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Jul 25 18:24:12 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 05:44:14PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 5:40 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>
> > So you still had the Rogers modem (gateway)? What was the time line
> > surrounding modem return / the 30 days? And how did you return the modem -
> > turn in to local Rogers Video the next day to get the pro-ration?
>

> Yes, I had the Rogers modem until the date of cancellation.
> Once the internet is up and running with the new provider, you have 1 week
> to return the Rogers stuff to one of their shops, otherwise, they charge
> you.

>From my experience... Rogers gave me 5 days from the cancellation or
transfer date.  I thought the "transfer date" is when I'm no longer
Rogers customer.  I know that usage/IP/bandwidth are metered by Rogers
hardware, but I thought it would be Teksavvy who will be "reading the
meter".  So, I left the old Rogers modem plugged in until I returned it
to the Rogers store, 5 days after cancellation date.

Surprise, surprise, Rogers charged me up to the day I returned the
modem.  During those 5 days, my monthly usage went over the cap, for
which Rogers charged me extra.  I had to escalate to "president's
office" or something to get the charge reversed.

That said, my Rogers pay-as-you-go cell package is $5/month (250
text/month and $0.45/min voice), and is the cheapest I can find.

So, I don't know...  hate them or love them.
--
William