[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 21 12:57:48 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 09:46:37PM -0400, Ralph Janke wrote:

> On another note. Maybe this is an incentive to think and support Gnu
> Hurd again a little more. For me, as a Computer Scientist, who has
> very intensively researched concepts of OS, I am not convinced a
> monolithic kernel is the best solution (Ref, Linus - Tannenbaum
> flame war). At this time, certainly we have not seen a
> non-monolithic kernel that can beat or compete with the Linux
> kernel, but this does not mean, it is not possible. With a
> non-monolithic kernel, a lot of the criticism against sytemd and
> dbus in the kernel may be obsolete. Maybe the frustration will
> revive the HURD movement and give them the necessary boost and
> volunteers.

I would not count on this. The Hurd has been stalled forever. I have
higher hopes for Tannenbaum's Minix 3, which actually has financial
support for development: http://www.minix3.org/

- Paul, who really should install Minix one of these days instead of
  just yammering about it.

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org