[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Jul 20 23:52:11 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM, Jason Locklin <locklin.jason at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:45 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> What I can't get is why Debian, the most community run of them all, and
>> one of the oldest, has decided to go with something like systemd.
>>

> For anyone genuinely interested, the reasoning:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/systemd

Also interesting is to read how competitors view systemd and what
specifically they are opposed to in it, AND how they respond to systemd's
information/misinformation on its competitors.

https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/upstart

https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/openrc

The systemd page's tone is heavy on marketingspeak exaggeration and
hyperbole compared to the "matter of fact" tone in those two.

On the other hand, there are things going for systemd. For example, I
looked at the unit files, and the syntax is really simple and clear. I
would have preferred YAML, but I can live with the .ini syntax.

But syntax is not everything. If needed, one of the simpler "init only"
solutions can be retrofitted with better syntax.

Similarly, fast booting and dependency management are good things to have.
But why have network, tty, login, logging, and the kitchen sink in there?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.