[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jul 19 20:44:05 EDT 2014

On 14-07-18 09:46 PM, Ralph Janke wrote:
.
.
.
> I am not convinced a monolithic kernel is the best solution

This is why I was quite fascinated when RIM chose QNX. I still await to
see how that all plays out. True multitasking with only the kernel
pieces necessary for any given install.

'course the IBM / Apple enterprise announcement gives one pause on that.
If Apple 'just works', (PDA) end users only need simple things to work
sufficiently well, and IBM delivers what end to end enterprise is
willing to pay for - sufficiently good may well again beat out
technically superior.

't will be interesting to watch. But I expect IBM/Apple will win, for
the same reasons Ubuntu has.

Re: Desktops

Goes back to what I said earlier. When an enterprise has to roll out
hundreds or thousands of desktops, ease of maintenance / consistency of
training means you don't switch desktops lightly.

Add in don't make me re-learn how to use the hammer depending upon what
device is under my fingers, and consistency in user interface becomes
more and more important. You don't casually go back and re-train users
for the newest next greatest user interface experience.

Be it a cell, a kiosk, a web app / interface, or a desktop.

The world is a world of users who's focus is not on the nifty things one
can do with a computer, but with doing what they are required to do with
as little mindshare as possible, so they can apply greater focus and
time on whatever scratches their itch. Which isn't a nifty desktop
widget or PDA app.