[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jul 17 20:25:59 EDT 2014

That's disturbing.

Guess my bubble that *nix is *nix burst with CentOS vs Debian. Got worse
with OpenSuSe. I like the phrase in the article ... "It’s a UNIX system!
I know this!." Not so much, it turns out. One of the reasons I got so
very tired of Windows was the moving target. Stop making me relearn what
I already know, and let me get on with my day. I know how to use the
hammer, let me get on with doing something useful with it. Stop handing
me a different hammer.

The recent thread here of "Switching Jobs from Debian Shop to RHEL?"
just re-demonstrates all of this.

The deal breaker for me is su vs sudo. sudo assumes there is more than
one admin per machine, and allows the logging / tracking based on that
userid. su takes that away, and forces the sharing / common root
password across the organization. <sad>

Not to start a flamewar here.