[kwlug-disc] Switching Jobs from Debian Shop to RHEL?

Chris Craig kwlug.org at ciotog.net
Sun Jul 13 13:59:45 EDT 2014

On 13 July 2014 12:52, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hands-on is the best way.  It won't take long, if you already know one
> Linux.  Most of "issues" you'll face will be how it interacts with other
> machines.  And, that's something you can't learn in isolation.

I've used Debian/Ubuntu at work for the last three jobs I've had, but
still use Slackware at home. Well I did use Slackware for the first of
the three but there were some issues with cross compiling so switched
to Debian. I played around with Red Hat as my first Linux distro but
ultimately didn't like it too much - that was over 10 years ago
though. The most trouble I had was with dependency resolution. I'd
rather solve dependencies manually with Slackware than try to get rpm
to recognize that they're resolved, or not as the case may be.

There are things I tolerate at work that I wouldn't at home, but
they're different use cases. Unity is too flaky and I never liked
their unified application menu or task switcher, but there are limited
applications that I use so it's not too bad. At home I wouldn't find
it usable.

One of the major differences you might find is if you're dependent on
"sudo" for a lot of things, it's not used so much outside of Ubuntu. I
use sudo at work and not really at home. I've found that Red Hat
doesn't upgrade well.

You might find this interesting, Joe:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/57849