[kwlug-disc] KWLUG Microblogger needed [was: Meeting Monday, 7pm: Short talks]

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Jul 6 00:31:13 EDT 2014

Paul mentions
> Bob Jonkman if he can get to KW from Toronto during rush hour

Since I won't be around to microblog the KWLUG meeting proceedings
(and when I do show up I'll be at the front with Brian), is there
anyone else who wants the keys and take it for a spin?

This is what I did for the last meeting:
http://sn.jonkman.ca/conversation/218430  That shouldn't be hard to
improve on...

- --Bob.

On 14-07-04 05:19 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> (If you are surprised to get this message despite CASL, read
> below..)
>

> Surprise! Canada Day fell on a Tuesday this year, so we are holding
>  our monthly KWLUG meeting this Monday, not next.
>
> Surprise! The topics for this month have changed, because the
> originally-scheduled presenter is out of town. Instead we have a
> collection of shorter presentations intended to educate and delight
>  (and sometimes provoke):
>
> - Khalid Baheyeldin wanted to get over-the-air free high-definition
>  television on his TV. Easy, right? In this presentation you will
> learn about the shiny toys required and how to set them up.
>
> - Paul Nijjar (Hey. That's me. Uh oh.) wanted to record KWLUG
> presentations and publish them as podcasts. Easy, right? Find out
> during this presentation.
>
> - Tim Laurence knows of at least 10 reasons Linux sucks, and he
> would like to share them with you. Tim's other hobbies probably
> include poking sticks inside wasp nests and commenting on online
> newspaper articles.
>
> - Brian Bentley (and Bob Jonkman if he can get to KW from Toronto
> during rush hour, so probably just Brian Bentley) will share their
>  missionary efforts to transform members of the Bits and Bytes
> computer club into Linux users (zealots?).
>
> This series of presentations will start at 7pm.
>
> Surprise! I mentioned the magic word "KWLUG podcast", and it turns
> out that this is a thing that exists. There is no video podcast
> available (yet?) but if you would like to listen to audio of our
> meeting presentations, you can subscribe to the KWLUG podcast here:
>  http://kwlug.org/podcasts
>
> Surprise! September is coming up quickly, and with it comes
> Software Freedom Day (http://softwarefreedomday.org) . It looks
> like we are going to put together another celebration this year
> (which is maybe not a surprise?) but by starting relatively early
> we hope to do a lot of outreach to demographics who do not already
> participate in these things (which may be a surprise) and make the
> event more relevant to a 2014 audience (which may also be a
> surprise, but shouldn't be). We could really use your help! If you
> would like to get involved (in outreach, in giving a presentation,
> in volunteering during the day, or something else) please send me
> an email and I will get you on our SUPER-SECRET sfd-planning
> mailing list.
>
> Surprise! I said the phrase "mailing list", which might bring to
> mind the brand new Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation
> (http://fightspam.gc.ca/) which will eventually mean that nobody
> in Canada will ever get spam. Hooray! For some of you, that might
> bring up questions of why you are getting this message at all, and
> why we did not send out the usual "please click this tracking link
> to resubscribe to our newsletter" message all the businesses have
> been flooding us with. After some discussion on our kwlug-disc
> mailing list (in the thread starting here:
> [...]
) it appears that our messages do not fall under the category of