[kwlug-disc] Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jul 1 00:24:56 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:49 PM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I tried to buy a bare 3TB drive to put in an eSATA enclosure and was
> talked out of it by the sales guy.  I'm still not entirely sure what his
> deal was, but he was a sales guy.

I have an eSATA dock which I pop in a 3TB WD Green drive, GPT formatted,
and rotate it with another identical drive for off site backup.

Been using that setup for 1.5 years and has no headaches compared to the
previous USB setup.

The same dock has USB, but the USB is less stable, and uses a LOT of the
CPU.

I had to buy an internal SATA cable and a bracket so that there is an eSATA
connector on the outside of the PC.

For now, the eSATA does the job and is far superior than USB (at least 2.0)
for backups.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.