[kwlug-disc] Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jul 1 00:18:44 EDT 2014

Unwashed masses.

Besides - enclosures, not drives.

And look at capacity.

I put a 4TB GPT in a USB enclosure ... got nowhere. eSata ... hunky dory.

External drives (vs enclosures) is like buying prebuilt systems rather
than parts - same pros/cons. Let alone, those external drives will be
4500 RPM, not 7200. Don't even think about 10K.

Let alone, and it's the CC salesbeast / Kahlid that finally made me
understand the advantages, dock over enclosure. Pull a drive out of a
system, pop it in a (USB, even) dock, and voila. Gotta like it.

Thus my appreciation for Khalid's note about dual-drive docks.

Not sure I'd buy anything less than 4TB these days ... no matter what
you do you're guessing at what your future needs might be. e.g. System
images across the net to each other.

Problem becomes the apparent decline in drive quality over the last
decade(s) - will you use the space before it dies, and will you have a
backup when you do? Thus my particular attention to Cedric's notes about
things like WD Black vs Green some while back. (Over Red, even.)