[kwlug-disc] gnucash presentation?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jan 30 18:53:18 EST 2014

> I was going to say... dedicated programs like Quicken or GnuCash are
 > really just very specialized databases.

Poppycock.

Much, much, more than that.

They are human comprehensible interfaces to that database, and make the
data in that database useful.

And explain / make 'logical' / incorporate 'business' and other 'rules'
upon the data.

At this level of program, there isn't all that much heavy lifting, vis a
vis 'real' accounting programs. But there is huge 'everyman'
comprehensibility.

At any level, it is that GUI that provides those analytical tools
(accountants not usually programming for a living, and vice versa),
frequently leading to analyses the 'layman' might not consider.

OTOH - what are the programs but 'spreadsheets', but with a commonly
agreed upon schema as being appropriate. Instead of each individual
reinventing the wheel.

The programs existed long before they became really popular. It was the
increasing ease of use and comprehensibility of the user interface that
made them so.

Add taxes (or similar tax products for that matter), electronic banking,
and electronic investment access, and these programs have become far
more than mere databases. Or spreadsheets.

Some day I'll even have the discipline to make use of them!