[kwlug-disc] IP addresses and gateways--my google-fu seems to be lacking

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jan 16 17:54:31 EST 2014

Brent, your message isn't quite as clear as you might like.

Start with the netbook.

When you connect the wire as you say, does the netbook stay happy in
terms of internet? If not, that's the problem to solve first. (Worry
about the other computers afterwards.)

Output of 'route' will be helpful for that. The default route, for it,
should be 192.168.1.1 (I'm guessing .1 is the router downstairs.)

 From your description, it sounds like you're getting two default routes
upon the second connection. If that's so, the second 'default' route may
appear as '0.0.0.0'.

The answer to your question, but I'm going to suggest you change your
solution slightly, the computers that connect to the netbook's default
route is the ip address of the netbook on the .10. range.

The solution is probably to specify no gateway on the wired connection
of the gateway (netbook). (Leaving you with only one gateway, the
downstairs router.)

I have not shared a linux connection, to give you more specifics, but
I'll suggest you change the netbook networking to use bridged mode. I'm
guessing you're probably doing some sort of internet connection sharing
/ NAT at the moment.

If you bridge the interfaces, then you can leave all the networking of
everything else as it always has been. i.e. 192.168.1.x

Think of Cambridge, one city separated by a river. Bridges link the two
sides. Same thing with networking.

The computers connecting to the netbook will request DHCP as always, the
request goes to the netbook, the netbook passes it on to the router, it
sends back to the originating computer via the netbook.

Everything stays on .1. and the world stays happy as you're used to, and
you avoid the complexity that's not buying you anything at the moment of
the .10. network.

Others who have done this will have to comment on the specifics.
Although I understand the networking, I don't have the specific linux
command lines to hand in my head.

In the mean time, hopefully your initial question got answered above.