[kwlug-disc] (no subject)

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 26 15:16:03 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:

> On 2014-02-26 10:33, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> Anyone has OTA and getting PBS from Buffalo in West Waterloo? Or this
>> impossible?
>>

> PBS in Buffalo knows that a large part of their market in in Canada,
> specifically the GTA.

That is what I thought too.

> I would suspect that they have strategically placed their transmitter
> accordingly.
> I think that receiving PBS in West Waterloo would be challenge.

A while ago I found the map feature in TV Fool.
You go there by visiting
https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90, then punch in the
first 3 letters from your postal code.

Then after the map is displayed, click on "Show lines ..."

Then scroll down to WNED-DT, and click the radio button next to it. Then
click "overlay off" if you want to see a direct line to your location.

I believe that some of the US OTA HDTV transmitters are also strategically
> placed on Grand Island in the Niagara River above the falls.

Yes, both WNED and WUTV (FOX), per TV Fool technique above.

But at least one other transmitter location is further from the border, in
> the "south towns", possibly at a higher elevation.
>
> For the Waterloo Region, geography is a consideration. There is the matter
> of the Niagara Escarpment as is extends from the Niagara Falls to Hamilton
> accross the lands between Lakes Ontario and Erie. And then there is the
> part of the Escarpment that extends northward from Hamilton to Rockwood /
> Acton / Georgetown. After the escarpment, another consideration, is, as has
> been mentioned, local topography, e.g. elevation, and blockages.

Re: map above at TV Fool, you will see the transmitter, which is north of
Buffalo and south of Niagara Falls (on Grand Island). This means it is
"above the escarpment" not below it.

Since they are "before" the falls (riverwise, upstream?), then I assume
they would be at comparable elevation to us.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.