[kwlug-disc] (no subject)

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Wed Feb 26 11:40:18 EST 2014

On 2014-02-26 10:33, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> Anyone has OTA and getting PBS from Buffalo in West Waterloo? Or this
> impossible?

PBS in Buffalo knows that a large part of their market in in Canada,
specifically the GTA.
I would suspect that they have strategically placed their transmitter
accordingly.
I think that receiving PBS in West Waterloo would be challenge.

I believe that some of the US OTA HDTV transmitters are also
strategically placed on Grand Island in the Niagara River above the falls.
But at least one other transmitter location is further from the border,
in the "south towns", possibly at a higher elevation.

For the Waterloo Region, geography is a consideration. There is the
matter of the Niagara Escarpment as is extends from the Niagara Falls to
Hamilton accross the lands between Lakes Ontario and Erie. And then
there is the part of the Escarpment that extends northward from Hamilton
to Rockwood / Acton / Georgetown. After the escarpment, another
consideration, is, as has been mentioned, local topography, e.g.
elevation, and blockages.

Please recall that the purpose of the CN Tower in Toronto is that it
provides a transmitter location high over the urban clutter of buildings
in the city and extends the reach of the transmitters located there over
a large swath of the GTA.

OTA propagation of TV signals whether UHF or VHF is typically
"line-of-sight" with little capacity for over-the-horizon reception.
Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-of-sight_propagation

Regards
John Johnson